The last Oregon Rocketry launch of the season will be held this weekend, Oct 17-19, at the Brothers site in central Oregon. It looks like the weather next weekend might be halfway decent for the launch – the forecast calls for highs in the low 60’s with a slight chance of rain. We will be trying something a little different this year – the launch will be TRA research on Friday and Sunday, with Saturday reserved for commercial motors only. Launch hours all be the usual: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM Friday and Saturday, and 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM on Sunday. For those fliers that have their own GSE, we can also keep the waivers open on Monday for TRA research. Standard waivers will apply for the weekend: 20,500’ AGL with windows to 42,280’ AGL on request. There is a reasonable chance that there will be some night flights on Saturday evening. We will make a decision on sparky motors at the site, after we determine the fire risk. (It is unlikely that we will have the fire trailer at this launch, since the pump froze the year before last and had to be replaced.)
Unimproved camping at the site will be available. If you plan to camp, please be sure to dress warmly – temperatures in October can dip into the low 30s or even 20s at night in Brothers. Port-a-potties will be serviced mid-week, and there should still be firewood available at the site that can be used in the two fire pits near the flight line (although it can’t hurt to bring a bit more). Please bring extra water with you, as none is available at the site. We should have Sunriver Nature Center as a vendor at the launch, although I do not yet have confirmation from them. Wilson Alness will be putting a sign-up sheet online for Saturday LCO and RSO duty again soon – please sign up for a two hour slot if you are able to. Friday and Sunday typically have much less traffic, and we will sign up LCO/RSO duty at the site.
Please join us for the last launch of the season. Autumn is a special time in the high desert in central Oregon, and can be quite beautiful.
A decision was made at the October meeting to make Friday Sunday, and Monday Tripoli research days at the Rocketober launch on October 17-19, while Saturday will remain commercial motors only. This decision came after a suggestion at the September meeting and an email comment period during which no objections were received. Under Tripoli research rules any Tripoli or NAR member can also fly commercial motors to the limit of their certification, and model rockets can be flown from low power pads.
The Rocketober launch in Brothers is coming up in less than two weeks, and a launch announcement will be sent out soon.